Photo: Me on the wheels.
We got playing around 7 or so and I played a set of jazzy hip-hop. Actually, this gig was probably my last gig in Utah, so I wanted to do something to bring it all home for me. Doing gigs in Utah, I never seemed to really get to play the kinda music I'm really into, usually we have to play to the crowd, and it can turn into a top-40 gig pretty fast if we're not careful. But even doing more underground gigs, we have to keep it pretty in your face to keep people's attention. Anyway, I just wanted to play some soulful jazzy hip-hop. Just chill beats to nod your head to. Somehow it felt just right as the sun was setting in the shop's large front windows, making the store glow golden. It just felt like chillin at the crib playing records for the homies. Anyway, the peeps liked the beats I played and the drummer from the band came up and gave his respects.
Photo: Skratchmo now play'n.
Skratchmo played next. His set went from golden era hip-hop to glitch-hop to left-field experimental electronica back to hip-hop then on to breaks. As he played, I flipped though the records, found lots of good stuff, and some stuff I never seen before. I think that's one thing that makes going to a record store different than buying music online, you always find more than what you're looking for.
Photo: Me & Skratchmo.
We ended with a short scratch session. And I bought some CDs and the homies hooked me up with a huge discount. Thanks guys! I only wish I could come back and do it again. All in all though, it was a great last gig in Utah, and somehow just felt right and so satisfying. When people ask about the scene in Utah, I always tell them the same thing, "It's small, but very dedicated." And also some of the nicest peeps you'll ever meet.
Photo: Chase (Uprok), Chase One Two (4th Street Music/Uprok) & Abstrak.




No comments:
Post a Comment