
Bridal Veils Night #1 - 80s Night
They played clips from 80's movies during the dance, the visuals were a nice touch
At first, I frowned at the idea of DJing an 80's dance. It's so corny and played out. But I did a lot of research beforehand and found some good tunes to play. I mean, you can't just play Footloose and Billie Jean for 4 hours straight (although some people would probably like that). I decided to go for more of the 80's R&B and hip-hop. It definaltley had a different feel than other 80's dances I've seen. The crowd was awsome, I even mixed in sme new jams that take influence or samples from the 80's and they loved it. Being outdoors, the records blew off the turnable and into the crowd twice. They just laughed and brought the records back and the party was back on. The vibe was very positive, very upbeat.

Bridal Veils Night #2 - Jock Jams
The party started at 9, people were there early for once!
I guess word spread from last week, cuz about 3 times as many people showed up. Probably around 200 people. The space filled up quick and it was packed by 9:30. Even though we had a long night ahead, we were prepared to go strong all night. CHu kicked it off, and I was up for the second half. CHu did a great job of reading the crowd. I picked up where he left off and I must say, we killed it! We had them going crazy! By the time I finished my set, I had them all doing the twist and la bamba! The party stayed packed up until we had to shut it down at like 1:30 am. The promoter was blown away.

Bridal Veils night #3 - Space Theme
DJ CHu at soundcheck
I didn't make the last gig cuz I was in Hawaii at the time, but CHu took on the crowd by himself. He reported that the crowd was even bigger than last week. He estimated a good 300. We debated a lot about what a "space" themed dance should sound like. The promoter wanted like a spacey techno rave. CHu said it ended up being a top 40 dance. When crowds start getting that big it's hard to do something as niche as techno. Over all it was a very positive experience. The event crew was very professional. It's nice when things all come together.
No comments:
Post a Comment